Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Beginning

I've started this recent weight loss journey on June 9, 2009. That's when the doctor put me on the scale and the daunting 1-9-0 was starring back at me. I decided then and there that I was going to make a permanent change about my lifestyle and eating habits. I know it won't be easy. I know I'm going to want to give up and throw the towel in. But I can't. Not this time. This time is for real and I'm playing for keeps. I'm doing this for me and no one else. I'm doing this for my current health and the health I choose to have in the future.

So I "started" on June 9, but it was mostly mental because I also had minor surgery that day. Nothing big, but I'm not allowed to exercise or strain for awhile. However, I went to my first weigh-in on Monday, June 14 and I was already down 3 lbs! All I had done since the previous Wednesday was watch what I ate and portion control. Portion control is what kills me. I'm a volume eater/snacker. I will also eat from boredom and other emotions that I guess I can't comprehend properly. So there you go. I was conscious of how much I was eating and already I'm off to a good start I feel. My current weight is 187 and my new weigh-in day is Monday. I think Monday is a good choice for me because it will help me make good choices throughout the weekend.

My primary goal is to have a "normal" BMI of 25 (the normal range is between 18.5-25, but WW uses 20-25). With my height of 5'5" (when I stand up properly) that would put my goal weight at 150 lbs. I think once I get to 150 I will want to continue to lose, but I'll worry about that once I'm there. Who knows, a size 6 sounds like a nice goal. Hell, anything smaller than a 16 sounds nice to me right now. I truly can't imagine being a size 6. I don't think I was ever a size 6. Ok, so maybe I was a 6 for like a month on my way to a size 8. Like I said, I've always been "curvy". As a cheerleader I was my smallest at an 8, but that was forever ago. I still have my cheerleading uniform I think. So when I get down to that size again I'll post a fabulous picture of me parading around wearing it like a fool.

So these past two days I've been having fun getting reacquainted with the WW website, eTools, message boards, blogs, and making my own calendars and weight-loss achievement thermometer that I get to color in. I'll post the documents or pictures of the documents later so you can see what kind of system I'm setting up. For one of the monthly calendars that I put on my fridge, I get a colored star if I stay OP (on plan), exercise, and blog. So I have the potential of gaining three different stars on a single given day. This is meant to motivate me to do all three daily because I've heard it takes 30 days to make something a habit. After I strive to earn all 3 stars after awhile I'm hoping it becomes second nature to me. All this planning is making me excited and ready to jump start this process!

I've stayed OP Monday and Tuesday and have logged all of my food with eTools. So I'm off to a good start. I am especially proud of how I handled today's choices. Today a friend of mine who is a year ahead of me in school took the USMLE Step 1. It's basically this crazy huge basic science exam that med students have to take after their second year in order to continue their medical training in 3rd and 4th year. It's the first national licensing exam in a series of 3 that we must complete during med school. Well, my friend took his exam today and wanted to celebrate. I was very conscious about what I ate during the day so I wouldn't have borrow too much from the weekly points. We went to dinner at his favorite burger joint (I was slightly worried so planned ahead and had an apple before leaving). Originally I was just going to order a burger with no fries, but then I saw something better -- a kid's meal! 2 sliders and a kid's size fries = perfect portion control. I did even better because I gave my fries away =) Yay, so proud! Oddly enough I was completely satisfied and wasn't hungry. I found that drinking 32 oz of iced tea and talking most of the meal very helpful. It made me slow down my eating process when normally I would have probably inhaled my meal before my brain had a chance to realize I stopped being hungry. I was also able to have a piece of his celebratory cake that his wife made for him because I had points to spare. =)

So here's the overall rundown of my plan and how I want things to go.

This blog will serve the following purposes:
-To journal my everyday struggles, accomplishments, and overall thoughts about changing my lifestyle
-To keep me honest and accountable. Because I know there are people out there reading this (Hi, Mom!), I will try my best to write everyday.
-As a source of inspiration and encouragement to myself and others

My overall plan as of today:
-remain OP (on plan) everyday
-track every single thing that passes my lips on eTools and keep an accurate account of daily and weekly points
-make healthy choices
-try to not get discouraged

Plans for the future:
-start exercising and remain active (this will have to wait a little bit due to the surgery)

Anyway, all in all, it's going great so far! I'm two days in and I'm ready to set my routine and start living healthy. And I really can't wait to start running again!

Peace out,
DrTejas

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Dr. T! I am very proud of your honest and zealous approach to your healthy lifestyle. I know you can do it! I've seen you do it! You always appear to be much happier when you're at a healthier weight and I like that person when she's out walking with me or trying to motivate me to run a 5k. I wished you lived closer so we could motivate each other! I am dying to run a 5k, but everyone I know runs well above my level (including you), but you're the only one patient enough to help me reach my goal! I desperately want to run the entire Turkey Trot with you this year, so I will do anything I can to help you reach your goal and you can help me reach my goal of running the Turkey Trot! -- Good luck and much love -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Turkey Trot is a fantastic goal! We can definitely start the Couch to 5K program as soon as I get the go ahead from my doctor. We have 5 months to work up to jogging 3.1 miles so it's definitely doable. It's going to be so rewarding to cross that finish line after running the entire thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, first visit to your blog. Wishing you continued success on your journey.

    ReplyDelete